Student Information

What is required for a major in Religion?

For a major in Religion, a student must take eight units. Two of these units are RELG 390, which is taken during the spring of the Junior year, and RELG 490, which is taken in winter of the Senior year. Additionally, four of these units must be at the 200-level or above.


All students must declare a major in the winter quarter of their sophomore year. If you choose to declare a major in Religion, we suggest you take a shared passages sophomore seminar in the winter or spring of your sophomore year.  Courses currently offered for the shared passages sophomore seminars are found on the Courses Offered by Academic Year page.

Each of these courses introduces students to critical questions in the study of religion and culture, and prepares students for their study abroad experience. When considering different study abroad options, there are many from which to choose: the program in Rome is very useful for a study of Catholicism and Christianity; the programs in Thailand and India will introduce students to the practices of Buddhism and Hinduism, respectively. Please feel free to check with any member of the department about your interests.


We require all junior majors enroll in the Junior Seminar in Religion (RELG-390); it is highly recommended for minors.  This course is also required for any students who wish to complete a SIP in the Department of Religion. This course prepares students for the work on their Senior Integrated Project as well as fundamental questions in theories of practice, and the study of religion shaping our field. Contracts for a SIP in Religion must be signed by Friday of Week eight, Spring quarter, by a member of the Department of Religion. See our SIP Information.


  1. SIPs (summer/fall) are due by the end of Week one of Winter term.
  2. We no longer require comprehensive exams, but we do require an intellectual autobiography and a critical review essay, which are completed during the course of the Senior Seminar in Religion.

Other questions? Email Dr. Petrey